Sunday, January 01, 2006

UAL Biz Class Dinner from HK

Spicy garlic prawns with fresh lemon, fresh seasonal greens with Oriental vinaigrette

Hey this meal on the final connection back from HK was pretty good. It started with the "spicy garlic prawns with fresh lemon, fresh seasonal greens with Oriental vinaigrette." The prawns weren't necessarily anything fresh or outstanding, but I was really surprised by the "Oriental" salad dressing, which looked like a nasty red sweet-and-sour mix from "Chinese" restaurants in the US. In stark contrast however, it was heavily sesame oil-based, which I easily get suckered into. I'm not sure why it was red in color, but it was a very pleasant surprise - I wish they would serve that more than that Balsamic vinaigrette stuff.

Vodka poached cod with asparagus leek sauce, orzo risotto with vegetables and stir-fried sugar snap peas

It then moved onto the "vodka poached cod with asparagus leek sauce, orzo risotto with vegetables and stir-fried sugar snap peas." Obviously I was inspired by the cod on the way out, so I was hoping this cod would also be good. And indeed, it was light and tender despite the strange yellow coating. It wasn't as good as the outbound version, but this was still very impressive. I didn't even bother touching the sauce, which seemed a bit tasteless to me. Interestingly enough, the orzo was pretty good, but the peas were overdone, just like with the outbound version of this dish. I guess they just tweaked a few things here and there but largely stuck to the same formula.

The chocolate tart at the end (interestingly, it came with the appetizer though - obviously for efficiency's sake) was decent too with a nice crust. This is definitely one of the better meals that I've had on United.

No comments: