Sunday, January 22, 2006

Santa Fe "All American Tex-Mex Grill"

Buffalo Wings and Nachos

I nearly didn't go into this place (Kiosk A outside Far East Plaza at 14 Scotts Road, where the old Le Viet branch used to be), as the menu featured excessive amounts of chicken. In fact, even when I got seated, I nearly stood back up and left when I saw a sign dangling above my head that touted "Tex-Mex Yusheng" for the approaching Chinese New Year. But what the heck - I wanted a margarita, and I figured that I'd give this place a try.

The food results were mixed. The margarita tasted syrupy, and in fact was a bit too sweet, but anything icy cold was still good to have on a warm day. The nachos were strangely made by individually baking cheese on each chip rather than simply dousing melted cheese on top (and they used flour tortilla chips rather than corn, mind you). But they were still edible. And the buffalo wings had the potential to be good thanks to their lack of batter and minimal meat, but unfortunately they still fell flat as the sauce not only lacked spiciness, but also had a disturbing tinge of tomato-ey ketchup in it. (OK, it's my fault for ordering buffalo wings at a "Tex-Mex" place, but I'm still on the hunt for good buffalo wings in Singapore.)

It turned out that this is the same "Mexican" shop out in Sentosa as well as Boat Quay. Well, for lack of other choices, maybe I'll try coming back here for their main courses sometime rather than just nibbling on their appetizers like I did today. But what I had here wasn't exceptional, nor was it cheap.

5 comments:

RealLifeReading said...

how about jerry's?

bma said...

Jerry's - the rib place? I was never fan of that place as the sauces tasted a bit localized - for the ribs, at least. I don't really remember their buffalo wings, but the ribs alone have kept me away from that place.

Tym said...

Brewerkz's buffalo wings have been consistently decent in my experience, but even when I get them really spicy, I don't think they quite get the mix right. Hooters used to do decent buffalo wings, a notch better than Brewerkz's, but I haven't been there in something like 5 years.

I, too, am still on the hunt for a good burger and good buffalo wings in Singapore...

Anonymous said...

Try buckaroo at sembawang, really far away though.Its near sembawang park. The place is like a texan saloon.

Anonymous said...

I think Roxy at Boat Quay has nice buffalo wings... Not sure if it's up to your expectation.
Buckaroo (sembawang) was quite okay too. Try their clam chowder!! Really GOOD!