Sunday, September 27, 2026

Kim Hua Guan Bak Kua at People's Park Food Centre

Bak Kwa

I only now realize how much I've been under-appreciating bak kwa all this time. I mean, I like bak kwa, but I never really took the time to explore small-batch purveyors given the ubiquity of big name chains like Bee Cheng Hiang or Fragrance. This one, on the other hand, is just a hawker stall (32 New Market Road #01-1022). But they still package everything very nicely and even let you buy a small 100g quantity if you'd like, which is about three slices.

And those three slices were awesome, as they were not just smoky and caramelized on the edges, but the meat had texture and was even laced with a distinctively stanky fish sauce. Awesome! To be sure, Sang Hock Guan is another example of one of these micro-scale vendors that is pretty darned good too. Either way, this is hardly the kind of thing that you find at a hawker center. There was another one just a few stalls down, but this one was actively grilling away on a Sunday afternoon.

No comments: