Friday, June 16, 2023

Maldivian Lobster, Fihunu Mas, and Garudhiya Soup

Maldivian Lobster

Allegedly one of the things to get here in the Maldives is the local lobster, but I'm not entirely sure if it's really that common of a dish here, or if it's just a high margin product that is aggressively pitched to tourists. Nonetheless, I don't expect to come back to the Maldives very often, so I figured that I might as well take the plunge and see if these lobsters were any different.

Well, that one above was definitely very savory with natural sweetness. But the flesh was also so soft that it made me wonder if it was naturally that way, or if this were a frozen product. The resort staff here admitted that it was frozen, which was rather disappointing given how pricey it was. I still ate it all up, but can't help but wonder how it would taste if it were fresh.

Fortunately, there were other local items in the dinner tonight that I liked, including a baked fish called fihunu mas, which went nicely with a thick fish sauce called rihaakuru. The resort also served a yellow-colored fish soup called garudhiya, which was thin but powered by earthy spices. Too bad I won't get a chance to go into town to see how these would fare when prepared outside of a mass catering effort.

No comments: