Saturday, May 15, 2021

Lẩu Dê 44 off Jalan Besar in Singapore

Cơm cháy kho quẹt rau luộc

There's another Vietnamese shop down the street from Làng Nướng Việt Nam - and one street east of Bếp Huế - that I've been very curious about (44 Foch Road, 9721-7447). I nearly ordered their namesake dish until I noticed this dish out of the corner of my eye. It was basically a plate of blanched vegetables on a plate, but served with a stanky, salty, and spicy dip as well as some scorched rice.

Not only was it just the light top-up of fiber that I needed tonight, but how can one walk away from Vietnamese scorched rice? Now, let's be honest: blanched veggies aren't the most exciting thing in the world, but that dark salty dip is what pulled it together, complemented with the crispy yet unseasoned rice. I'm really glad that I found this, not to mention the rowdy venue where most of the patrons were speaking Vietnamese.

No comments: