Friday, April 30, 2021

SCALED by Ah Hua Kelong (In Person This Time)

Roasted Prawn

I was feeling greedy tonight for more shellfish and booze. So I thought of going to SCALED, which I got a taste of just after the circuit breaker lockdown, and was curious to see what it was like in person. I ended up getting the same things, like those prawns above, which were still lip-smackingly tasty, even if a couple of them were (surprisingly) not as fresh as I'd thought they'd be.

The smoked seabass pâté was my favorite by far, and was even better than I remembered it, as it was extra smoky, going wonderfully with the extra buttery yet crispy bread, occasionally chased down with a pickled garlic shoot. Delicious! I'd be happy ordering nothing else from these guys, although I am also curious to try their "KFC" Kelong Fried Collar, which requires an advance booking (note to self: call ahead next time!).

So was it better in person? Yes, for the friendly and energetic atmosphere, counter seating and view of the kitchen, and food being served at the right temperature. One big letdown though was that the beverage selection was very limited, which means that Humpback and the Naked Finn have a big advantage. But at least my wallet is much happier after leaving here.

No comments: