Sunday, November 29, 2020

Three Stalls at Pek Kio Market & Food Centre

Prawn Nooodle

I'm not sure if Lai Hiang was the one that was referred to in this recent comment, but there was a 20 minute line at this Pek Kio stall number 41 this morning (whereas there was no visible line at Wah Kee). I liked the prawns here and gobbled it all up quickly, but I still prefer the Tekka market shop over this one due to not just its more pure-tasting broth, but also the fun garnishes.

Chee Chong Fun

There was also a Michelin-listed chee cheong fun stall called Pin Wei at stall 25, where you can see the lady folding them in front of you with a plastic scraper. The fillings were pretty good, including not just firm prawns, but also minced char siew accentuated with cumin and sesame seeds. Note though that the chili sauce is local, despite it otherwise being Hong Kong-style with that thin fluid poured over it.

Chwee Kueh

Finally, stall 28 did handmade chwee kueh, including a giant-sized one that they were sold out of today. I went for the normal-sized one then. The cakes were the best part, as they were firm with a pronounced taste that one doesn't often get from other stalls. But I didn't care that much for the tangy pickled topping nor chili; the salty Ghim Moh guy still wins in that department.

1 comment:

Eat said...

Hello. Yes, you got the right stall “Lai Hiang” :D. Taste is subjective isn’t it, I really thought that the Tekka one was overhyped. Maybe I got them on a wrong day.. But I do follow your posts a lot, your tastebud CAN. Alphonso mangoes.. can’t stop once I tried after reading your posts and it became a yearly and painful wait for May to arrive