Tuesday, March 31, 2020

A Phở Shootout: Quê vs Super Ngon

Que's Phở

It was unintentional, but I happened to have two bowls of phở today, so here is a comparison of the two. The first was from a small counter called Quê at Triple One Somerset (111 Somerset #01-K10), and it was better than I thought it would be, thanks the attention to detail in the ingredients as well as the mildly earthy broth. I liked it enough that I'd like to come back to try her bún chả and bánh mì.

Super Ngon's Phở

Then after work, I went to Super Ngon (466 Crawford Lane #01-08, 9644-7039), just a few doors down from Tai Hwa Pork Noodle. This one had a much simpler, salty broth without many herbs, making it north Vietnamese style. Normally I prefer southern-style phở, but they also had pickled garlic and a sour chili mixture that kept it fun. Indeed, I think I liked this shop better, but both were good enough that I'd be happy to return.

No comments: