Sunday, April 07, 2019

Cheng's @ 27 in Tiong Bahru, Singapore

Sliced Fish with Ginger and Spring Onion

This Hainanese cze char is supposed to be quite famous for its long history, as well as having become a bit more upscale over the years along with the rest of the Tiong Bahru neighborhood (27 Yong Siak Street, 6223-7883). As such, I was both curious about this place, but also apprehensive about getting ripped off. The fact that the menu didn't list any prices (and the dubious nature of the wait staff tonight) didn't make me feel at ease either.

Thankfully, the food was pretty good, like that sliced fish with ginger and spring onions above that I gobbled up in seconds, as well as a rich pig trotter bee hoon and crispy chicken chop (the lemongrass aroma in the curry was a nice touch). Fortunately, it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be, although that might've been because I asked them about the prices of each item before I ordered. Note to self: their much-lauded chiffon cake was really more about pandan leaf than it was about gula melaka.

No comments: