Monday, March 11, 2019

Indonesia's Ayam Gepuk Pak Gembus in Malaysia

Set A

This chain of fried chicken shops from Indonesia has a number of outlets in Malaysia. They seem to be known for the super spicy sambal that they make freshly in front of you. You can choose your level of spiciness: I requested pedas (10 of 30 chili peppers, I believe), and it was indeed spicy enough that I was panting for at least thirty minutes afterwards.

But it wasn't the heat that made this thing so good. It was the depth of flavor and how it all came together nicely. See, that sambal wasn't just spicy, but also fragrant. I'm pretty sure that it was sesame oil that made it so. More importantly, the chicken was perhaps more skin than meat, and it was just salty, greasy, and crispy enough to keep the excitement going.

Plus, it came with cabbage and cucumber slices to crunch on when you needed a breather, as well as of course a plate of rice to shovel down the rest of the sambal with. Awesome! That was easily one of the more memorable things that I've eaten. I fully expect to be reminded of it again tomorrow morning, if you know what I mean. :)

No comments: