Thursday, November 29, 2018

Rincon Criollo Restaurant Cafe in Miami, Florida

Vaca Frita

This Cuban cafeteria was very cool (2601 Northwest 39th Avenue, 305-871-7755). Complete with outdoor bar seating, it was decently lively on a Tuesday afternoon, and it was walkable from Miami Airport too. I got even more excited when I realized that my waitress didn't speak any English. This looked really promising. Gimme some vaca frita with moros y cristianos and tostones, please!

My expectations were too high. The flank steak was tender but borderline too salty. One would think that it would then make for a good companion with the rice, but it just ended up being plain carbs without much animal fat in there to perk it up. The fried green plantains similarly were just starchy, and the raw garlic that came with it didn't help. I liked the boiled yucca though. I'm happy to come back here for the atmosphere, but I'm going to have to do some more research into what kind of dishes I might like.

No comments: