Thursday, September 03, 2015

Sushi Toku in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong

16 Option Sushi

I actually came by here a few nights ago (23-25A Cameron Road, +852-2301-3555). But when I saw what a high-end sushi place it was, I backed off, as I just wasn't in the mood to pay through the nose for sushi at that time, even if was supposed to be good. I also figured that I could play my usual tactic of going for lunch instead, when prices might be more affordable. And that's exactly what I did today.

Yes, it was good. This place is up there with the leagues of Sasa, Mitsuya, and maybe even Mizutani, although I can't say for sure since all I had was a set lunch. See, if you come here at lunch time, you don't get the dedicated omakase attention of the sushi chefs since they are busy churning out speedy lunches. I ordered something called the "16 Option," meaning I could choose 16 different things. They wouldn't let me order only a few at a time and the remaining later, as it all had to be delivered on one plate. I was hoping that the chef could be a bit more bespoke and engaged.

I assume though that they reserve that kind of service for dinner, with high prices to match. This lunch set, on the other hand, was only a third of what dinner would have cost. In that sense, I'll happily come back for lunch again, but for dinner maybe I'll try that yakiniku place that I saw downstairs.

Addendum: I forgot that these guys recently changed their name to Mikasaya, even though it's still showing in Google Maps as Sushi Toku. I wonder if it's because people got confused with Sushi Tokumi, which happens to be just one street away.

No comments: