Saturday, January 04, 2014

Xiao Chen Bak Kut Teh, Clarke Quay

Bak Kut Teh

Man, what's up with the weak-tasting broths that I've been having today? The soup at this shop along the street-facing wall of Clarke Quay's carpark (3E River Valley Road #01-08, 6336-0939) wasn't anywhere near peppery enough, and ultimately just tasted watered down. Fortunately, I still ate most of what they brought out, but this was also the first bak kut teh place that didn't really seem to encourage the whole Chinese tea ritual; I had to settle for a tea bag instead.

Then again, at this kind of location, it's clear that they are catering toward tourists and party goers from next door. Indeed, they even had signs indicating a S$50 (US$39) cleanup charge for vomiting, which I can only assume they meant as a result of alcohol rather than consumption of their own food. Well, the lady serving us was super bubbly, and the retro-looking decor was nicely done. But if I had wanted bak kut teh after drinking, I'd just go down to Havelock Road instead.

No comments: