Monday, March 11, 2013

M. Wells Dinette, Long Island City

Pig's Tongue

Yes, I came here because I saw it on Bourdain's NY episode of The Layover (although I totally forgot that Crif Dogs was on his show too...I didn't even realize it until the morning). Anyway, I was practically drooling when I saw this place on TV, so I came down to their new location at MoMA PS1 in Queens (22-25 Jackson Ave, 718-786-1800) before heading to the airport.

It's a funky place, and I'm not just talking about the Québécois cuisine, either. The restaurant was setup with classroom-style seating, with chalkboards on the side listing what's available on their constantly changing menu. What's at the front of the "classroom"? The kitchen of course. It wasn't all in plain view, but it was entertaining to watch nonetheless.

And how was the food? It had both quality ingredients and a unique sense of creativity, as evident in my blood sausage as well as herb salad, both of which I enjoyed. But this pig's tongue above was a bit of a head-scratcher, as it was covered in a very sour vinaigrette. Sure, it helped cut through the richness of it all, but it was way too sour for me. I'll come back, but hopefully they'll tone it down a little...it was all just a notch or two too high on the funky scale for me.

No comments: