Sunday, January 02, 2011

My First Taste of Makgeolli Rice Wine

Korean Makgeolli Rice Wine

I was looking through the drink selection at the Asiana lounge in Incheon tonight when I randomly picked this one. I can't read Korean, so I wasn't sure what it was, but with the graphics on the front and the white color of the fluid, I figured it was something like a sweet barley drink.

It was only after I tasted it did I realize that it was alcoholic; the staff later explained to me that it was a rice wine. It wasn't very strong and was quite different from soju (and it isn't really anything that I'll reach for again), but it was interesting to try.

2 comments:

orpheus said...

LOL, i was in there just 24 hours before you! I didn't see the makgeolli though. It's nice stuff =).

tanya said...

I tried this stuff on Xmas. My expectation that it was beer made the taste even worse. Never again.