Monday, December 10, 2007

Phil Stefani's 437 Rush, Chicago

Prime Ribeye Chop

Sure, Chicago is known for its pizza and hot dogs, but one other very critical thing that we had to be sure to do on this trip was to head into a swanky mahogany-lined steakhouse. These guys (437 North Rush Street, 312-222-0101) were apparently headed by a Milanese chef who also featured an extensive list of pasta on the menu should you so choose. But similar to Morton's, each cut of plastic-wrapped beef is presented to you before the start of the meal. I went for my usual ribeye, which in this case came with a giant Barney Rubble-like bone attached to it.

It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for in a classic steakhouse like this. The charred edges of the steak provided just the right complement to the fatty, tasty, and tender meat (that rosemary-based sauce on the side really wasn't even necessary), and of course requisite starters like oysters on the half shell were all available. The sauteed mushrooms were a bit sweeter than I'd like (I prefer the buttery version at Morton's instead), but pretty much everything you would want in a testosterone-charged carnivorous meal was here. Now it's time to reach for the bed and pass out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello,

I stumbled upon your blog a few months back and check up on it periodically. Welcome to my home, Chicago! We have many great places to eat and I see you have found your fair share. Sometime you will have to check out Kuma's Corner 2900 W. Belmont not to far from Hot Doug's for a great burger. Also, one of our many byob's Tango Sur the south american steak house at southport and grace.

bma said...

Darn - I wish I had seen your suggestions before I left. I read a little about them online and they both sound amazing. They're going on my list for the next time I pass through town though...thanks!