Monday, November 13, 2006

Bongau (Japanese for Bon Goût)

Bon Gout curry with pork cutlet

You know how casual Japanese places always have series of manga books lined up for you to read while you eat? This place takes that concept to another level. Oddly named Bon Goût, this Japanese (not French) place (60 Robertson Quay #01-01) is actually a bookstore piled high with manga series, and yet also serving casual Japanese food too (or as they officially call it, "a cafe with books and dining"). An earlier recommendation pointed me to their namesake curry rice with pork cutlet, so that's what I ordered, along with a nice refreshing bowl of hiyayakko.

The good thing is that the curry was able to successfully retain its mild Japanese character while simultaneously trying to be a tad spicier than the usual Japanese curry (they had a "mild" version available too). But the crust on the cutlet was cruder than I would have liked, and I could nitpick on a few other minor things too. I still think I prefer Ichiban Tei over this place as a result, but it was simple and cheap here, and that was all that I really wanted tonight anyway. (Note to self: they had tonkotsu ramen on the menu here that might be worth coming back for.)

No comments: