Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Magic of Chongqing Hot Pot

Yuan-Yang Hot Pot Dinner - with a tiny little plate of beef slices in the bottom right corner that they charged S$8 for!

I went to this place once a very long time ago (Tanglin Shopping Centre #04-06, 6734-8135), but never went back since I was a bit bummed that it wasn't the Taiwanese version that I was hoping for. We went over there out of convenience tonight though, and fortunately it wasn't as bad as I remembered it. Sure, the condiment selection was still more or less limited to the peanut sauce (which made me incredibly thirsty, mind you), but the broth on both sides of the Yuan-Yang hotpot was respectably tasty, and the little slivers of raw pickled garlic thrown into the peanut sauce helped too. I guess this isn't too far off from the way it's done in the mainland?

They have a S$26.90 (US$15.80) all-you-can-eat package here, but we found it slightly cheaper to order a la carte, especially given the boring selection of ingredients to pick from here (the waitress gave us the evil eye when we tried to order individually). Be careful though - it can add up quickly, especially given how pathetically small the S$8 (US$4.70) plates of beef slices are, not to mention the S$2 (US$1.20) edamame plates sitting on your table when you arrive and thus automatically charged for. I still prefer the Whispering Man by far (both taste-wise and price-wise), but I suppose if I had to come here again, I could bear it more than I did last time.

No comments: