Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Few More Dishes From The Prado, SD

Some cherry dessert - I can't remember the name

It wasn't my intention to go back to the Prado so soon. But this dinner was arranged by a contact who by sheer coincidence chose this place, without realizing that I had separately dined here just a couple nights before. I guess it does go to show how this place has a nice enough ambience that makes it popularly suitable for business meals. This time, I ordered a few different things, starting with the "tortilla soup with grilled chicken cilantro & cotija cheese." It was bean-based rather than what I believe are more common thin-broth ones, but it was spicy and satisfying.

Forest harvested wild mushroom risotto with a selection of seasonal mushrooms simmered with a traditional creamy arborio rice & white truffle oilNext came the "forest harvested wild mushroom risotto with a selection of seasonal mushrooms simmered with a traditional creamy arborio rice & white truffle oil." I wasn't as big of a fan of this, as it seemed a bit mushier (yet granier at the same time) than I'd like, although I think the mushiness (or creaminess, put more elegantly) is actually a key attribute of risotto (I don't eat enough risotto to really speak intelligently here). The scoop of what seemed to be whipped goat cheese or something on top was an interesting touch, but in the end, this was just too rich for me, and I didn't bother finishing it.

My dessert, some cherry tart-like thing, certainly looked pretty, but the taste was just very straightforward to me. I'm not complaining, and it definitely wasn't bad, but nothing really blew me away (aside from maybe the soup). So even after having come here a second time now, my take on this place is still the same: I can respect his talent and innovation, and it is a nice setting in a historical building and park, but I won't be yearning to come here (and I hope any future business meals will be at another venue, seeing that I've been here twice already).

No comments: