Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Xiao Nan Guo Shanghai Cuisine

Clockwise from left: xiao long bao, some fried stuffed bun thing, crab yolk tofu, and dou miao

This is a chain from Shanghai that has opened quite a few shops across Hong Kong. I had eaten at one of the branches here a year or two ago, and remembered a number of little dim sum dishes that I liked a lot, so we made sure to get them today. One was a deep fried bun (sorry, I don't know the official name), which was tasty thanks to the grease and meat stuffing. We also got a crab yolk tofu, although they were out of one of my favorite Shanghainese dishes, shan hu. And of course, we got the obligatory xiao long bao, although the skin was a bit thicker than I'd like.

The red pork thingy with a steamed bun

One interesting piece was a pork and steamed bun-type thing. A big chunk of fatty pork is tied up and simmered in some red (non-spicy, not too sweet) sauce, which you shove into a little steamed pancake thing and eat away. It was interesting and not bad, although I won't get cravings for it either. Anyway, if you come here, be sure to get some of those fried dim sum plates. It's a bit different from the Cantonese dim sum that one usually gets in HK.

2 comments:

Piyo said...

The fried bun should be called 'sheng jian bao' in chinese or 'sung jin bao' in cantonese if I didn't remember wrongly. :)

Anonymous said...

If you like Shanghai cuisine, you may want to check out Hu Cui (part of Crystal Jade Group - not sure if you like CJG but Hu Cui is really quite good - better than Lao Beijing and Ding Tai Fung in my humble opinion). Hu Cui has a wide selection of Shanghai dishes and has an all-day dim sum menu. The dim sum is very affordable and delicious. I haven't tried much of the dishes though, as they are rather pricey.

Hu Cui is at Ngee Ann City, 2nd floor.

And nope, I don't work there and earn no commission.:)

Murky