Saturday, September 15, 2018

Charles Vergos' Rendezvous in Memphis, Tennessee

Small Order of Ribs

I came to Memphis looking for live music and barbecue. So after getting into town tonight, I headed to this old school place to fuel up (52 South Second Street, 901-523-2746). I got their requisite ribs, which in Memphis is oftentimes done with just a dry rub rather than dripping in sauce. Yay, that gave it a tasty crispy outside, even if the meat was borderline dry inside. Apparently these guys use direct heat rather than a pit like other shops around here, so I'll be interested in trying another shop tomorrow to see if it is more moist.

Barbecue Nachos

I needed a little more food, and I noticed barbecue nachos on the menu, so I grabbed that. To be clear, that doesn't mean that they put chips on a grill. Rather, it's chips topped with pulled pork and barbecue sauce. I was hoping that it would taste better than it sounded, but it didn't. Oh well. I liked the ribs though, and they had a lot of local beers on tap here too. It seems that this place is visited by a lot of American presidents, including Bill Clinton.

No comments: