Thursday, September 14, 2017

El Taller Baja Med Cocina in Tijuana, Mexico

Sarten de Pulpo

Of all of the big name Baja Med restaurants down here, there was one old school one that I distinctly remember having not had the chance to try yet. So I made a specific effort to come here for dinner after crossing the border this afternoon (Avenida Rio Yaqui #2969-B, 664-686-3383).

The more and more bites that I took here though, the more it started to remind me of La Querencia, including everything from the innocent-looking (but wonderfully potent) habanero sauce to the octopus with olives above, even if this one seemed to have a heavy dose of ginger in it. It was only then that I realized that this restaurant is from the same chef! Anyway, the octopus above went down the hatch easily, especially since they provided some nice corn tortillas to go with it. I wasn't as happy with a ceviche that they recommended though, not only since it was a tad sweet, but also since it was based on salmon, a puzzling choice given that I don't think they swim this far south, do they?

In that sense, I'd rather go to Erizo or Mision 19 instead. I saw a lot of people here ordering pizza though, which seemed to be their specialty. I'm very curious about it, along with their pasta too, but the thought of loading up on carbs just wasn't appealing at the time.

No comments: