Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Hiroshima's Fujiyama Dragon Curry in Singapore

Katsu Curry

I'm not sure if this is run by the Kajiken folks or not (someone in the kitchen here was wearing one of their shirts), but a curry chain from Japan has opened an outlet at the Orchid Hotel in Tanjong Pagar, just a few doors down from Kajiken on the former grounds of Ramyun & Soju Korean Cuisine (1 Tras Link #01-03, 6444-9260). 

With a name like Dragon Curry, you'd figure that they'd probably do spicy curries. And they did, but it was a binary selection: either spicy or original with nothing in between. I spotted bottles of red powder on each table though, so I went for the original, figuring I could always crank it up a few notches myself, especially if the bottles were as spicy as the ones at Coco Ichibanya.

The only problem was that the powder wasn't spicy at all, and I didn't like the curry as much as Coco Ichibanya's either. But the thing that I did like about this place was the katsu, which was extremely crunchy and in-your-face salty. And for an added twist, they had jugs of paitan broth on each table for you to make a porridge with using any remaining rice. Next time I'll get the spicy version to see if it's any better.

No comments: