Monday, June 12, 2017

Wee Hoi Kopitiam in Johor, Malaysia

Char Siew Bao

I don't even know how this place was discovered (6 Jalan Kacang Panjang, Gelang Patah, 016-776-6110), but we needed breakfast after hopping over the border this morning, and I was surprised at how much I liked it. In particular, the sambal in their nasi lemak was so pleasantly spicy (without being overly sweet nor fishy) and whose little peanuts were scorched so nicely that it gave those little fist-sized banana leaf packets a delight to eat.

I liked it so much that I even got a second pack (cue: Yuban's old "richness worth a second cup" commercial). The steamed buns above were pretty good too: light and fluffy surrounding a smooth rich filling that wasn't excessively sweet. Apparently they make the stuff by hand here rather than in a factory. My only gripe was the coffee, which had an odd motor oil-like aftertaste to it. But I'm not much of a coffee drinker anyway.

No comments: