Sunday, May 14, 2017

Phnom Penh Restaurant in Vancouver's Chinatown

Marinated Thịt Bò

Once again, it might seem kinda weird that I live in Southeast Asia, and yet end up eating at a Cambodian-Vietnamese place way over here in Vancouver. Well, these guys not only consistently ended up on a bunch of must-eat lists that I found online, but apparently both Anthony Bourdain and Julia Child were happy with this place too, especially for some kind of chicken wings. We were within walking distance this afternoon and figured that we'd give it a shot (244 East Georgia Street, 604-682-5777).

We waited about 30 minutes before being seated. Perhaps the most memorable item for me was that "butter beef" carpaccio above, which came with topped with fried garlic, cilantro, and a dark sweet and sour sauce. If it were me, I would've dialed back the sugar a bit in the sauce, but I still happily gobbled it up.

And how about those famous chicken wings? They were moist, piping hot, battered lightly, almost akin to Rang Mang Shokudo's wonderful karaage but on the bone. There was a bit more garlic in there than I'd like, but there was also five-spice powder in the batter and a muối tiêu chanh dip, if I tasted it all correctly. They had a fried squid that was done relatively similarly. I wouldn't go out of my way for this place nor wait 30 minutes for it again, but I can see why people like it.

No comments: