Saturday, August 06, 2016

Tonkatsu Anzu at Wisma Atria's Japan Food Town

Gin-Jo-Pork Fatty Loin Katsu Set

That tonkatsu place at Japan Food Town finally opened this week, so I went there today for lunch (435 Orchard Road #04-48, 6262-3408). I went straight for the top of their "Limited Anzu Select" list: the gin-jo-pork fatty loin katsu set at a whopping S$44 (US$33).

In contrast to how it might sound, it wasn't like you were eating chunks of fat. Nor was it quite the "taste that will melt on your tongue" like the menu claimed. But it was extremely juicy, and I wolfed it down in seconds, especially with those super fragrant sesame seeds and multiple sauces and pickles at your disposal (I actually liked just plain rock salt the best). Now, I don't know if it's necessarily worth paying the premium for (I'd be perfectly happy at places like Saboten), but next time I might try that ochazuke version that I saw on the menu.

A Japanese fruit drink sounded perfect after such a meal, so I went next door to Japanese Sake & Fruits BAR NIPPON afterwards (435 Orchard Road #04-49, 6262-3452), thus finally rounding out every shop at Japan Food Town for me. The only one that I haven't been to now is the yakiniku shop, which hasn't opened yet.

No comments: