Friday, May 13, 2016

The Wagon on Tras Street, Singapore

Beef Cutlet Curry and Rice

I don't know about you, but a place named The Wagon sounded like some tacky cowboy-themed wannabe-Western place. It was only when I randomly walked past it (55 Tras Street, 6221-6369) that I noticed that their menu featured a lot of Japanese ingredients. It turned out that it was run by a Japanese chef who spent some time at a Michelin-starred restaurant in France.

They normally serve small plates, and the weird name comes from the fact that it's served from a cart, kinda like State Bird Provisions in San Francisco with its dim sum-style approach. But during the lunch hour, they had things like this curry rice featuring beef from Hokkaido.

Yes, I liked this guy. He used quality ingredients and seasoned everything just right. Actually, the beef was leaner than I thought it would be, but this was only a S$25 (US$18) three-course lunch set after all. I intend to come back here for happy hour, especially if it's a former 28 Hong Kong Street guy behind the bar. Apparently these guys are related to Tsukada Nojo too?

Epilogue: I went back for dinner a few weeks later and was a bit let down, as the food wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I'll give it one more try before I give up...and hopefully next time the bartender won't be on vacation!

No comments: