Sunday, May 22, 2016

Royal J's Seafood Off Jalan Besar

Fried Congee

Apparently in Malaysia they do a thing called fried congee. Yep, it's sludgy rice gruel tossed in a wok, and it sounded delicious. And since I was only a couple of blocks away this afternoon, it was a no-brainer to come by here to see if it were any good (30 Foch Road, 9357-3993).

I was disappointed. I figured that the whole point of throwing it into a wok is to give it a sense of smokiness, but there was none to be had. I mean, sure it was still tasty with those bits of pork lard and dried shellfish, but that's all I really tasted.

I couldn't even taste those green onions; basically the only thing that it provided was bad breath. That's too bad. It sounded like something with a lot of potential, but just fell short. I would be curious to see if I can find a better version on my next run up to KL though.

No comments: