Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Hokkaido Izakaya in Tanjong Pagar, Singapore

Tsuke Rayu Niku Soba

By sheer chance I was walking past these guys at lunchtime when I realized that it was their grand opening today (95 Tanjong Pagar Road, 6221-7118). They have a full (seafood-focused) menu at dinnertime, but for lunch it was limited to a few Hokkaido buckwheat-based soba dishes as well as a few mini donburi on the side. I stepped in to take a look.

It was a lot better than I thought it would be. That soba on the left came topped with things that didn't overwhelm it, and they even provided things like soft boiled eggs to blend into your sauce. The donburi was small, but did the job of filling me up. On that note, you are also given the option to double or triple the amount of soba at no extra charge; next time I'll get a triple, as the double wasn't enough for me.

Now, I'm not sure if this is a chain restaurant from Hokkaido or not; the logo seems to try convey such an impression, especially with its odd tagline of "Officially Recognized by Hokkaido Cities." But it seems these guys are somehow related to Yakitori Enmaru at ION Orchard, a place that I haven't particularly impressed with. Either way, I liked my lunch enough today that I will come back here.

No comments: