Thursday, July 16, 2015

Unico by Mauro Colagreco in Shanghai

Tiradito

I was originally on the hunt for street food, but the skewer lady that I saw the other night wasn't there, so I ended up back at Three on the Bund again, where interestingly yet another Michelin-starred chef has a place there, this one being an Italian-Argentine who opened a Latin-themed place (3 Zhong Shan Dong Yi Road 2/F, +86-21-5308-5399). And yes, his Michelin credentials were pretty obvious in this Peruvian tiradito above, with tons of contrasting textures and flavors in there to make this starter a lot of fun to eat.

Where I was disappointed though was a set of Argentinean prawns that I got. To be sure, the waiter warned me in advance that they were frozen in order to make the trip across the Pacific here. But I didn't think that they would be that mushy, especially from a Michelin-starred chef. The saving grace, however, was those gigantic heads, which were full of deliciously savory fat. Screw those lame mushy tails...the golden part was those heads! Either that, or am an idiot for not ordering beef from an Argentinean chef.

No comments: