Friday, June 13, 2014

The Sydney Fish Market in Pyrmont

Scampi, abalone, and scampi

Just as with my last trip to Sydney, I made sure to stop at the Fish Market on the way to the airport today. There was a lot of stuff on display, and I stopped in my tracks when I saw these beautiful scampi from New Zealand. WOW - these looked unbelievably good (and yes, they were red in their natural uncooked state). This fishmonger had a cooking service, but he suggested that I eat these raw, whereas a larger variety next to it could be grilled. I ordered exactly that along with a half dozen oysters.

Scampi from New Zealand

Oh man, those scampi were some of the best things I've eaten in a very long time. The tail meat was naturally sweet and tender (think: amaebi), and the headfat was like a mildly briny and sweet uni. That was such an awesome thing to eat, and it didn't even require cooking! Having said that though, the larger scampi that I had grilled were also delicious, but this stuff didn't come cheap either. I blew through A$50 (US$47) for nothing more than a handful of small scampi, two large scampi (plus cooking charges), and a half dozen oysters. Those scampi made it worth it though.

Fish for sale

As a side note, it was interesting to see how many tourists were here: many signs were in both English and Chinese, and I heard Mandarin being spoken everywhere. Seriously, groups of families with cameras and chopsticks were chomping down their selections with piles of noodles, and you could also ask the shops to cook your seafood with things like ginger and scallions, and even "Singapore chili," if I remember the sign correctly. I requested no sauce for my grilled scampi, but I wonder if the Asian cooking is worth a try.

No comments: