Sunday, June 01, 2014

El Charco de las Ranas in Mexico City

Tacos al Carbon

Earlier today, we got to talking about tacos al carbon, something that I've never been a big fan of due to the sweetness of the pineapple topping. I figured though that maybe I just haven't had a proper rendition of it, so we came to an outlet of this chain because it was known to be one of the best places for it in Mexico City. Unfortunately, I still didn't like it, again because of the pineapple. Give me any other taco though and I'll wolf it down.

Nopales Tacos

Or so I thought. See, I also saw a dish on the menu that came with some cactus, so we requested some on the side just so that I could try it out. It was pretty tasteless...and a bit slimy at the same time, making it a bit like okra. But making a taco out of these things was a bit pointless too, since all I ended up tasting was the salsa that I dressed it with. OK, I guess that's two kinds of tacos now that this huge taco fan didn't like.

Chicharrón de Queso

There was one thing that I was a *huge* fan of though, and that was this chicharrón de queso. There's no pork skin in it, but instead is just cheese folded up after being on the griddle. In that sense, it is very, very similar to an Indian cheese dosai, except that this is pure cheese rather than being mixed with any dough. It's also brushed with cilantro, onions, and jalapenos on the outside, if I tasted it correctly. Apparently this thing is available at any taquería in Mexico. I'm surprised that this hasn't traveled to places like the US more quickly.

No comments: