Saturday, May 31, 2014

Hill's Cafe at Austin Airport

Hill's Old Fashioned Burger

I wasn't planning on eating at the airport today. But my flight to Mexico was delayed, so I figured that I'd better get some food in my belly or else I'm going to be starving by the time I finally get there. The good thing is that there is no shortage of real local places to choose from at the airport. There were a number of things that caught my eye, but ultimately I settled on Hill's Cafe, in part simply because United usually flies out of the other end of the terminal instead.

From what I could tell, Hill's Cafe was an old place from downtown Austin that is known for its chicken fried steak. To my dismay, they did not have any available today, so I settled instead for a burger, especially since the sign above the stall said that the Austin American-Statesman allegedly called it the "Best Burger in Austin." I'm not sure why though. The patty was rather dry, the bun was soft and sweet, and those corn fritter things that they gave me on the side were sweet too. At least the beef tasted like proper beef. I thus basically only ate parts of the patty and ignored the rest.

Perhaps more interesting was the Crab Rangoon that I got from the nasty Chinese takeout shop two doors down (the airline gave out a voucher there due to the flight delay). I had never heard of a Crab Rangoon before, and it turned out to be a deep fried dumpling-like thing filled with sweet cream cheese and surimi...ugh! It is only when I looked it up just now did I realize that this is originally from Trader Vic's. Hopefully it tastes better there.

No comments: