Friday, October 11, 2013

Tiong Bahru Cooked Food in Tanjong Pagar

Economic Rice

In order to make sure that I had another reference point for my recent economic rice experience, I came to this rather utilitarian-named shop for lunch today (1 Tanjong Pagar Plaza #01-33, 6221-4981). They didn't have any clams when I got here, but otherwise I matched up the same items as I got from the No Menu Bar so as to make a valid comparison. And with those few items, I could immediately taste the differences.

Sure, the veggies were expectedly tougher, but more importantly, the items from this shop leaned much more toward a sweet belachan taste. In and of itself, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing, and at only S$2.30 (US$1.80) for that entire plate above, the thing was a total steal. But I definitely preferred No Menu's approach instead, especially with those Sichuan peppercorns.

No comments: