Friday, October 11, 2013

Marché's "German Sausages Boiled in Vinegar"

Saure Zipfel

Yep - that's literally how the folks at Marché described their Oktoberfest special today: "sausages boiled in vinegar." No, it did not sound appetizing. And yet bizarrely, that's precisely why I wanted to try these Bavarian Saure Zipfel. Surely they couldn't be serving sour sausages, could they? I wanted to find out.

To my surprise, they weren't sour at all. Nor were they the dark looking things that I had envisioned in my mind...they were tender white Bratwürste instead, accompanied by some onions, bay leaves, and peppercorns.

The only thing that was sour was the onions, and that was a good thing since they helped cut through the taste of the meat, similar to what mustard would do. I'd easily eat that again.

No comments: