Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Fook Seng Goldenhill Chicken Rice

Yu Sheng

No, that's not chicken rice above, nor was it raw chicken. It was raw yu sheng fish, which I was surprised to find at a chicken rice place, but I suppose that it went along with the porridge that they served on the menu too. Anyway, these guys recently opened up a branch on the former premises of Meii Sushi (7 Tanjong Pagar Plaza #01-108), claiming to have "probably the best chicken rice in Singapore." With a bold claim like that, I had to give it a try.

The chicken rice was pretty good, actually. The chicken was moist and delicate with flavor, as was the rice, even if it was borderline mushy. I don't know if I'd say it was the best in Singapore, but it's definitely up there with some of my other favorites. And yes, the yu sheng above was fine too, even if not as good as Joe Pork Porridge or Ah Chiang.

The main problem with though is that they are painfully slow, which is a bit frustrating during the busy lunch hour. Worse, the physical dimensions of this store are just too narrow for people to walk through (if you'd been to the former Meii Sushi location then you'll know what I mean by narrow), and it was made even more frustrating by the fact that they put the utensils and chili sauce wayyyy on the other side of the shop. Well, I'll come back here for an afternoon snack when they are hopefully less crowded.

No comments: