Saturday, April 06, 2013

Snow Dome Shabu Shabu from Azmaya

Pork Shabu Shabu with Hokkaido Snow Dome

I was looking forward to coming to this place (30 Robertson Quay, 6737-6863), in part because they had something called a Hokkaido Snow Dome, which I had never heard of before. It turned out that this was basically a broth fluffed up with egg whites, such that when the broth boils, it rises up, looking a bit like a ball of snow (yes, it was basically a meringue). After that, one could poke away at the egg white, and proceed with shabu shabu as one normally would.

The problem though was that the shabu shabu wasn't of very good quality. Granted, that's my own fault for intentionally ordering the cheapest set of pork at S$24 (US$19), but I wasn't very encouraged by the rest of the stuff that we got either. Still, I'm curious to come back here to try the S$90 (US$72) option in the hopes that the quality gets better as a result. (What an interesting position for a restaurant to be in: I didn't like the food tonight, and yet am willing to come back to spend multiple times more just to prove that I could like the food!)

No comments: