Monday, December 10, 2012

Lexington Market in Baltimore, Maryland

Lexington Market

I was able to spend the morning up here in Baltimore before heading back to the airport, so I took advantage of it to go get some local Maryland seafood. This market seemed like just the right place to get it, especially since it looked like a lot of vendors inside were open for breakfast. It was encouraging at first, with the smell of seafood in the air from the moment I stepped out of the car and inside the building. Apparently I came a bit too early though, as a lot of stalls were still closed.

Oysters and Baltimore Lake Trout Sandwich

Only when I went to the West extension of the market did I find this guy, who had a little raw bar as well as fried goods, like this local "lake trout" (even though it's actually Atlantic whiting) sandwich. It was better than I thought it would be, especially with squirts of hot sauce, and was perhaps even better than that Cuban fish sandwich from the other week. The oysters were fine, but what was more interesting was watching the dude next to me methodically dressing up his raw clams with lemon juice, salt, and slices of hard boiled egg. I'll have to give that a try next time.

From left: coddie and lump crab cake

Finally, I made it it Faidley's section of the market (203 North Paca Street, 727-4898), which is praised for its crab cakes. It took them a while to open this morning, but I got my lump crab cake as well as that little coddie on the side (the latter is called the poor man's crab cake, seeing how it was only $2.50 compared to the premium $12.50 lump crab cake). And the coddie was pretty good with its hot potato and fish mixture straight out of the fryer. Too bad the crab cake itself was cold in the center when they served it to me (I think I saw him take it out of the microwave!). I can only assume that on a higher volume day, this thing is much better.

No comments: