Monday, November 12, 2012

Schaub's Meat Fish & Poultry, Palo Alto

Fred's Sirloin Sandwich

After taking care of a few things in the area today, I figured that it would be a good time to come to this place to try their famous Fred Steak (395 Stanford Shopping Center, 325-6328). Actually, the labels on the meat here read Fred's Steak, but for some reason people call it Fred Steak.

Perhaps more peculiar than the name was the meat's hideous appearance, being completely black both before and after cooking, apparently due to some secret marinade used by the guy who invented it. But once sliced up into a sandwich like that, it basically just looked like slices of pink roast beef. And unfortunately, it didn't really taste that different from roast beef either.

Frankly, I couldn't see what all of the fuss was about it. I mean, sure it was tender, but I couldn't taste anything that special, even after plucking out individual slices from that sandwich so that it didn't get covered up by all of the mustard and pickles. I guess that I'll have to try the real thing one day and grill the entire cut of meat on a barbecue.

No comments: