Saturday, October 27, 2012

Shinjuku Has Moved to Kushigin's Old Spot

Tsukune to Daikon Setto

I wasn't intending to come here, but when the cab turned the corner and I saw Hotel Grand Central being torn down, the first thing that came to mind was, "Oh no, where did Shinjuku go??" And before I knew it, my cab made another turn toward Cuppage Plaza when I noticed that Shinjuku had taken over Kushigin's spot. Whew!

The interesting thing was not only how much smaller this new place was for them, but also that they kept one thing that I really liked about Kushigin: those dirt-cheap S$10 (US$8) tax-inclusive lunches that they rotated through on a daily basis. Today's was this pork tsukune and daikon set that I gobbled down in seconds.

It was only afterwards that I finally made the connection. I mean, I knew that Kushigin and Nanbantei were related, but it hadn't dawned on me that Shinjuku was run by the same people too. All three of these guys are old, but they have always been dependable standbys for me.

No comments: