Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Papalote Mexican Grill, San Francisco

Grilled Tofu con Achiote Tacos

This place (3409 24th Street, 970-8815) has a claim to fame of having an amazing salsa...so much that even Bobby Flay went nuts for it. I managed to stop by the Mission District just before the busy lunch hour today, and grabbed these tofu tacos.

Yup, you read that correctly. Tofu tacos...this was San Francisco, after all. The tofu was marinated in achiote, and are buried underneath all of those veggies in the photo. I could hardly taste the tofu as a result, actually.

But I could indeed see what the fuss was about the sauce. It was rich, and in many ways a bit like La Victoria's in San Jose, but more refined. Next time I'll come back and try one of those burritos that I saw everyone getting.

No comments: