Saturday, April 21, 2012

My First Taste of Black Garlic

Black Garlic

Ever since stores around town started carrying those nicely packaged boxes of fermented Black Gold garlic from Korea and Japan, I've been intrigued...but not so much that I'd be willing to pay for an entire box, especially when I only wanted to try one piece. We were given a couple of bulbs the other day though, so I finally gave them a try this morning, eating them straight up. It was a great way to start the day, I'm sure.

To my surprise, they were sweet. Or maybe put more precisely, they were tangy: a bit like Fruit Roll-Ups, but garlicky. And the texture was kinda similar too...or at least, a bit like gummi bears. I won't really go for this stuff again (and hopefully I won't stank all day now), but I'm sure that some enterprising ramen chef has done something with this that would be worth trying one of these days.

No comments: