Friday, March 02, 2012

Kampong Chicken Eating House, Tiong Bahru

Kampong Chicken Rice

For some reason, a cab driver was telling me today about this place (247 Outram Road, 6221-2522), saying how it was his favorite chicken rice, and how it was much better than those fat chickens at Boon Tong Kee. I incidentally ended up in the neighborhood tonight anyway, so I figured that I'd stop by to see why he liked it so much.

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure it out. I mean, I suppose that this lean bird was mildly tasty on its own. But other than that, I didn't like anything else that they did with this stuff. The soup was bland, the rice and chili weren't anything special, and the garnish lacked the heavy sesame oil that I like. Sure, it was better than Boon Tong Kee, but that's not difficult to do.

What perhaps looked more interesting were the cold crabs that I saw a neighboring table getting. I didn't have the patience to stick around for any of those (I actually ended up walking over to Ah Chiang later to get some of that delicious yu sheng to finish off the meal), but it was interesting to see how yellow these chickens were...even Five Star isn't anywhere that yellow.

No comments: