Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Southern California's Kogi BBQ Truck

Kogi BBQ

At long last. After many failed attempts to reach a Kogi truck every time we were down in Los Angeles, I finally found a day when one was going to be nearby. See, Kogi has been one of the things that has brought food trucks into the limelight with its Twitter feed and Korean-meets-Mexican cuisine. I figured that maybe the hype had died down a bit over the years, but there were still a lot of people waiting around for the Kogi truck to arrive tonight.

From front: Kogi Kimchi Quesadillas and Short Rib Taco

Anyway, I got a combo of a short rib (read: kalbi) taco as well as a Kogi kimchi quesadilla. In many ways, both of them tasted just like they sounded, with Korean ingredients used in Mexican dishes. But what surprised me was how strong the flavors were, with the kalbi being rather sweet and the kimchi being pretty darned salty. I liked it, but probably not so much that I'd go out of my way to hunt it down again. They definitely weren't shy about flavor here.

No comments: