Saturday, September 10, 2011

Laurelwood Brewing Company at PDX

Laurelwood Spinach Salad

One of the things that Portland has a lot of is microbreweries, but we didn't really get a chance to hit many of them up. So by the time we got to the airport, we needed a meal, and I figured that we at least better try one of these places before leaving. Laurelwood was supposedly known for a great spinach salad too, so their outlet right next to our gate was fitting.

The good thing was that the spinach salad was indeed unique. The orange poppy dressing in particular was pleasantly light and refreshing...so much that I had nearly forgotten that I hated walnuts, a candied version of which they had generously strewn all over the salad. I liked my BLT sandwich too; the grilled sourdough bread and avocado were great touches.

And how about the beer? Unfortunately they were out of the brown ale that I wanted, so I fell back on a porter, but I wasn't a big fan of the hops (although I guess it should be a given that microbrews from the Pacific Northwest will be pretty hoppy). One of these days I'll have to try one of their locations in town; I think I noticed shrimp and grits on the menus there.

No comments: