Thursday, May 26, 2011

Naab Iranian Fine Cuisine, Kuala Lumpur

Lamb Koobideh

Just as I was running out of inspiration of places to eat here in KL, it occurred to me that there were a number of Middle Eastern restaurants around. One building next to the Grand Millenium Hotel in fact had an entire row of shops varying from Moroccan to Lebanese. My favorite of course is Persian, so we made our way down to the end of the street (130 Jalan Bukit Bintang, 2143-3949), which incidentally was a shop that one of my colleagues recommended too.

I was a bit concerned at first since it was on a touristy drag in the middle of the city, but it kinda made sense as this was apparently a place that Middle Eastern tourists would go to when on vacation here. And the good thing was that the food turned out better than I thought it would be, with two delicious eggplant appetizers to start: mirza ghasemi with a fried egg on top as well as a more unique kashk o bademjan topped with dried yogurt and garlic. The dough drink I got was nice and rich too.

And when my perennial favorite koobideh came out, it reaffirmed our decision to come here. The lamb was moist, the rice came accompanied with butter, and the raw onions even came in both red and white varieties. Now, the portions still weren't the gigantic ones that I was thinking of (and the rice was a bit dry), but nonetheless I left here stuffed. I now have a new preferred place to go to when I head up to KL.

No comments: