Monday, April 18, 2011

Huang Ze He Peanut Soup Restaurant, Xiamen

Sha Cha Noodles and Peanut Soup

That brown tub on the left may look kinda nasty, but it totally brought a smile to my face after I tasted it. See, I'm a huge fan of Taiwanese shacha sauce, and when I got some local shacha noodles from Xiamen today, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. But it turned out to be exactly the briny spicy stuff that I like so much...and it was only now that I realized that this stuff is actually more common across the Fujian and Chiuchow areas rather than just Taiwan. It was definitely pure shacha sauce instead of TK Noodle's rendition though.

Actually, this shop (22 Zhongshan Road, 202-4670), as one can tell from the name, is better known for that small dessert cup in the upper right corner of the photo rather than the noodles. It was basically a mildly sweet peanut soup that is very common around here. It tasted like it sounds, and wasn't anything that blew me away, but it was a refreshing thing to have after that bowl of savory noodles. Perhaps more amusing here is the old school paper ticket system that they use here; it took me a second to figure out how to pay, order, and get my change back.

No comments: