Sunday, January 02, 2011

My First Taste of Makgeolli Rice Wine

Korean Makgeolli Rice Wine

I was looking through the drink selection at the Asiana lounge in Incheon tonight when I randomly picked this one. I can't read Korean, so I wasn't sure what it was, but with the graphics on the front and the white color of the fluid, I figured it was something like a sweet barley drink.

It was only after I tasted it did I realize that it was alcoholic; the staff later explained to me that it was a rice wine. It wasn't very strong and was quite different from soju (and it isn't really anything that I'll reach for again), but it was interesting to try.


orpheus said...

LOL, i was in there just 24 hours before you! I didn't see the makgeolli though. It's nice stuff =).

tanya said...

I tried this stuff on Xmas. My expectation that it was beer made the taste even worse. Never again.