Saturday, August 21, 2010

233 Quan An Vietnam, Joo Chiat Road

Phở Bò and Gỏi Cuốn

I needed something refreshing this afternoon, and Vietnamese food seemed like it would fit the bill. So I went down to Joo Chiat, where I recalled seeing this place (233 Joo Chiat Road, 9457-9351) a few weeks ago. I grabbed the requisite bowl of phở and a side of gỏi cuốn, plus bánh mì since they were offering it.

They were fine, even if the broth was on the light side and the rice paper was a bit soggy from having sat around pre-made for a while. The bread in the bánh mì was crisp and airy, but I was hoping for the usual pâté and fresh chili pepper version rather than the fried egg and sweet sauce that they used here.

Well, it all did the job in the end, but I kinda prefer the place up the street instead. There's at least another Vietnamese place or two in this area that I haven't tried yet, so I'm kinda curious how they would fare too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're off to Vietnam next week but when we get back we're going to try this place for sure.

Thanks Mr Hungryboy!