Monday, July 19, 2010

Singapore Taco Bar Epilogue: Casa Latina

Carnitas

I take back what I said about not being able to find good Mexican food in Singapore. Thanks to a very timely tip this afternoon, I came down to this place (42 Waterloo Street, 6884-6929) for a quick plate of carnitas. And to my surprise, it was spot-on. The pork was crispy, the corn tortillas were warm, and most importantly, the pico de gallo was fresh...something that has been frustratingly rare around here. Now, I definitely still prefer a casual taco bar over a proper restaurant like this, but if the other food on the menu is as good what I had tonight (despite the availabliity of fajitas and burritos), then I can save a trip home by just coming here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

gosh..this looks so good! thanks for the tip. Your recommendations are always spot on.

Nick said...

We checked this out on your recommendation. It's a pretty rubbish restaurant (ok service, but bad décor, weird location etc.) but the food was great! My wife is already thinking of when we can go back.

I hope the fact that they don't even have a website, a listing on hungry go where etc isn't a sign they're about to go out of business.

Mike said...

GREAT find! I went there last Sunday with a contingent of Venezuelans and was pleased to see that Chef Mario finally delivers a good Mexican experience in Singapore.

On your return, you MUST try the Chili Poblano soup and his souffle/tamale dessert. The Ceviche, Queso Fundido, and Chilaquiles were also excellent.

Ironically the pork carnitas were my least favorite of all the items we ordered!